Those born between December 22 and January 19 can call themselves Capricorns. As a cardinal sign and earth sign ruled by Saturn, Capricorns are known for their wisdom and determination.
There’s a lot to know about the dualities of this zodiac, and a lot of stereotypes to set straight.
If you’re under the impression that Capricorns are nothing but overachieving killjoy types, then you’ve got plenty to learn.
Keep reading to find out about the personality traits of Capricorns, and the compatibility in love and friendship, recommended career paths, colors, fun facts, and so much more associated with this industrious sign!
What Makes a Capricorn?
The most important facts you need to know about Capricorns are as follows:
- Capricorn season is between December 22 and January 19
- Capricorn originated from the constellation of Capricornus
- Capricorns are earth signs
- Capricorns are cardinal signs
- Capricorns are ruled by the planet Saturn
- Capricorn is symbolized by a sea-goat
Every zodiac sign has an associated birthstone. For Capricorns, the birthstone is garnet, a beautiful deep red stone.
But since zodiacs span over two months, each sign technically has two birthstones. So, while garnet, the January stone, is the main birthstone for Capricorns, December Capricorns may identify with the December stone, turquoise, a bit more.
Both stones have powerful meaning behind them.
Garnet, named after the pomegranate, symbolizes the heart and inner fire. It is a passionate stone that can be used to resolve relationship issues and strengthen the bonds between family and friends.
Turquoise is a calming stone that symbolizes wisdom, tranquility, and good fortune. It even has physical healing properties that can be used to treat high blood pressure, depression, infection, and migraines.
The two Capricorn birthstones balance each other out and demonstrate the powerful drive and wisdom each Capricorn possesses, as well as their passion and undying loyalty in relationships.
Capricorns are earth signs, which is definitely reflected in its power colors: brown and gray.
These neutral hues are commonly found in building structures and simple clothing, which reflects the down-to-earth and reliable qualities of Capricorns.
More specifically, brown is a color commonly associated with seriousness, dependability, security, and safety. It is a solid color that brings comfort to its beholder.
Gray is associated with intellect and maturity. It is situated between the starkly different black and white, meaning it can be thought of as a color of compromise and decision-making.
Other power colors for Capricorns are navies, deep greens, and mustard yellows.
Each zodiac sign is associated with a special symbol or glyph that comes from the mythology behind them, and can be seen in their constellation.
The Capricorn symbol is the mythical sea-goat — a creature with a goat head and a fish tail.
The sea-goat has a very long, rich history that spans human civilization starting in Bronze Age Mesopotamia (3,200-2,100 BCE). It was used as one of the representations of Enki, the ancient god of creation, water, magic, and mischief.
In ancient Greek tradition, the Capricorn sea-goat constellation is believed to be the goat that raised Zeus. To show his thanks, Zeus placed the goat among the stars. Another Greek legend is that the sea-goat represents the god Pan, or Pan’s father Aegipan.
Overall, the sea-goat is a symbol of agility, sure-footedness, and creativity — all of which are reflected in a Capricorn’s personality.
Capricorn Personality Traits
Capricorns are credited with being some of the most hardworking and determined people. Often compared to worker bees, they are ambitious, organized, and almost always have a goal in mind. And due to Capricorns being ruled by Saturn, they have the tools to meet those goals.
Saturn is linked to responsibility, determination, and the all-important skill: patience. Not only that, but Saturn also brings out self-discipline and natural management skills in Capricorns that give them the power to get things done.
Thanks to Capricorns being cardinal signs, they are also incredibly intelligent (intellectually and emotionally) and passionate about everything they do. You can bet that when a Capricorn puts their mind to something, they’ll find an efficient way to get it done.
But while Capricorns are some of the hardest, most passionate workers out there, they often forget to let loose and have fun.
Let's go over the main strengths and weaknesses of Capricorns in more depth.
- Capricorns are hard workers. With a strong sense of discipline and the ability to see everything through to the end, Capricorns are amazing at reaching their goals and getting things done. They can have their moments of laziness, but at the end of the day, everything on their to-do list will be crossed off.
- Capricorns are dedicated. Capricorns hate giving up. Once they start something, they’ll do whatever it takes to finish it, whether that be an amazing homemade birthday present for their friend, or a campaign for work. Their natural enthusiasm and go-getter attitude makes them extremely persistent when it comes to meeting their goals.
- Capricorns are self-reliant. Since Capricorns are ruled by Saturn, they have a strong sense of responsibility and are known to take care of themselves from a young age. They can often be described as wise beyond their years thanks to their intelligence and maturity.
- Capricorns are good with money. Another great earth sign quality of Capricorns is being good at planning. Making schedules and thinking ahead comes second nature to Capricorns, which is why they’re known to be great at saving money and knowing when to spend it. If you want financial advice, try asking a Capricorn!
- Capricorns are supportive. Capricorns may come across as being overly serious — even scary at times — but the truth is, they’re total softies that just want to feel needed. When you reach out to a Capricorn for advice or help, they’ll be happy to know that you trust their judgement. And you can bet they’ll give great advice!
- Capricorns can be workaholics. Being goal-oriented is a great way to get things done but can sometimes get in the way of Capricorns being able to have fun. Capricorns are easily distracted by their responsibilities — to the point where that’s all they can think about. That’s why Capricorns can come across as stubborn, emotionless, and aloof.
- Capricorns are stuck in their ways. Capricorns tend to be under the impression that the way they do things is the right way, and everyone else is just doing things wrong. This is mostly due to their strong sense of self-reliance. Since they can be so against change, it’s not uncommon for Capricorns to be traditional or even old-fashioned.
- Capricorns are never satisfied. Capricorns are always striving to reach their goals and be the best at everything they do. That inner drive is key to a Capricorn’s success, but often leaves Capricorns feeling unsatisfied and disappointed when things don’t turn out as planned. Besides that, they’ll often hold others to impossibly high standards, too.
Capricorns are practical visionaries who are naturals with money and planning ahead. These qualities allow Capricorns to thrive in management and leadership positions.
Legal, government, and accountant careers are recommended for Capricorns. Really, Capricorns thrive anywhere they can wear a killer suit and climb the corporate ladder.
Being a teacher or professor would also make a fulfilling career for Capricorns, as they enjoy being goal-oriented and mentoring others.
Capricorns get along best with other ambitious, driven people when it comes to long-term relationships. Because Capricorns are earth signs, loyalty and dependability are also important to them. That’s why fellow earth signs, Taurus and Virgo, make the best partners for Capricorns.
Another honorable mention is Scorpio. Scorpios are known to treasure honesty, trust, and loyalty in their relationships. Scorpios’ passion and deep commitment for those they love, and their tendency to take relationships deadly seriously, make them great partners for Capricorns.
Just like in love, Scorpios make great friends for Capricorns. Their passion, devotion, and loyalty can be a source of comfort for Capricorns. And a Scorpio’s love for deep conversation and bonding moments may be just the thing to get a serious Capricorn to open up.
Fellow earth signs make the best of friends for Capricorns, too. Their grounded, serious behavior lets Capricorns know they can be relied on and trusted.
Now that you know what makes a Capricorn tick, take a look at this list of famous sea-goats. When you know just how ambitious Capricorns really are, it’s no wonder why there are so many famous ones!
- Joan of Arc: January 6, 1412
- Isaac Newton: December 25, 1642
- Benjamin Franklin: January 17, 1706
- Edgar Allan Poe: January 19, 1809
- J.R.R Tolkien: January 3, 1892
- Richard M. Nixon: January 9, 1913
- Betty White: January 17, 1922
- Martin Luther King Jr.: January 15, 1929
- Elvis Presley: January 8, 1935
- Muhammad Ali: January 17, 1942
- Dolly Parton: January 19, 1946
- David Bowie: January 8, 1947
- Jeff Bezos: January 12, 1964
- Michelle Obama: January 17, 1964
- Kate Middleton: January 9, 1982
- LeBron James: December 30, 1984