Pisces, the sign of the fish, is known for its creativity and love of collaboration. It’s the zodiac most in-tune with its emotions.
Pisces are born between February 18 and March 20 and are co-ruled by the planets Neptune and Jupiter.
As one of the most emotionally complex zodiacs, there is a stereotype that Pisces are oversensitive and hard to get along with. But while this stereotype may have grounds in reality, it doesn’t come close to describing the complexities that make up a Pisces.
Their proclivity for emotions makes them natural caregivers and loving friends, and gives them the ingenious ability to read peoples’ moods and emotions.
Besides having a sensitive side, Pisces have a deep love of imagination and coming up with new ideas.
There’s a lot to know about what makes a Pisces tick. Keep reading to find out about the personality of Pisces, and the compatibility in love and friendship, recommended career paths, colors, fun facts, and so much more associated with this idealistic sign.
What Makes a Pisces?
The most important facts you need to know about Pisces are as follows:
- Pisces season is between February 18 and March 20
- Pisces originated from the Pisces constellation
- Pisces is a water sign
- Pisces is a mutable sign
- Pisces is ruled by the planet Neptune, but is sometimes considered to be co-ruled by Jupiter and Neptune
- Pisces is the 12th and final sign of the zodiac
It is believed that birthstones conduct energies specific to certain planets. As every zodiac is associated with a planet, there are also specific birthstones associated with each zodiac.
The Pisces birthstones are Amethyst, for January, and Aquamarine, for March.
Amethyst, a calming purple stone, conducts the energy of the planet Uranus. This stone is known for its purification and healing properties, as well as its ability to clear and cleanse the mind. Just like a Pisces, amethyst has very strong connections to spirituality and understanding.
Pisces born in March may have a stronger inclination towards the second birthstone of Pisces — Aquamarine. This beautiful blue stone conducts the energy of Saturn and is associated with tranquility, clarity, and harmony. It also represents loyalty, courage, friendship, hope, and truth.
Both stones embody the powerful personality of Pisces — gentleness and understanding, with a passion for love, life and beauty.
As a water sign, and the sign of the fish, Pisces thrive around colors of the sea. Light and airy colors like seafoam, mint, and lime green, or cerulean, sapphire, and arctic blue that call back to the water are perfect for Pisces.
In general, green is a color of security. It is a dominant color in nature and evokes feelings of hominess, peace, comfort, and stability — all things that Pisces cherish.
Blue is reminiscent of both the ocean and the sky — two deep, unexplored places — and represents spirituality, honesty, and imagination.
Besides light blues and greens, Pisces work well surrounded by other soft hues such as light pinks and purples. Lighter colors have an air of simplicity and calm which can help clear a Pisces mind and inspire creativity and fresh perspectives.
The official symbol for Pisces (meaning “fishes” in Latin) is made up of two identical fish swimming in opposite directions. Often the fish are shown swimming in a circle, demonstrating how, even though the fish are swimming in different directions, they always end up going the same way.
In some depictions, the two fish are tied together by a string.
It is believed that the double fish symbol originated with the ancient Greek myth in which Aphrodite and her son Eros jumped into a river to escape Typhon, a monster with one hundred dragons’ heads. Once in the water, Aphrodite and Eros turned into two fish and swam away.
In other versions of the myth, they stayed in their natural form but were saved by two large Syrian river fish.
The double-fish symbol is the perfect representation of the struggle between a Pisces’ understanding of fantasy and reality.
Pisces Personality Traits
These idealistic, creative types value creativity in everything they do. Whether they’re in science class, baking a cake, or planning a game night with friends, Pisces will always surprise you with their out-of-left-field ideas.
Pisces are known for their unexpected ideas and their passion for individuality. They love coming up with new, creative ideas and love putting those ideas to paper. A lot of the time, those ideas come to fruition in the shape of drawings, paintings, songs, and stories — Pisces is one of the most artistic zodiacs.
Besides their love of all things creative and unique, Pisces are also known for their inclination towards spirituality, imagination, and philosophical thoughts. To a Pisces, a dream isn’t just a dream — it’s a map to a better life.
But Pisces don’t like to chase their dreams alone. Whether they’re extroverted or introverted, Pisces love to make deep connections with others. They are incredibly understanding people who love to give their friends a shoulder to cry on. They’re often referred to as the “therapist” of their friend group.
While Pisces are great at reading other people’s moods and emotions, and love to help others in any way they can, they are liable to forget about their own needs and desires.
Let’s go over the main strengths and weaknesses of Pisces in more depth.
- Pisces are dreamers. For a Pisces, creativity is the key to happiness. Just like the planet Jupiter, Pisces are known for their love of exploration and expansion, and their optimism. Their imagination has no bounds, allowing them to always have amazing, out-of-the-box ideas up their sleeve. More logical thinkers may find Pisces' ideas a little too far-fetched, but after grounding their ideas in reality, they are nothing short of impressive.
- Pisces are generous. Pisces are incredibly easy to get along with because of how generous, empathetic, and understanding they are. They are known for putting other peoples’ needs before their own, making it easy for Pisces to make friends. They’re also great listeners and always seem to know just what to say when their friends are feeling down. However, a Pisces needs to know where to draw the line with their generosity, as it is easy to take advantage of.
- Pisces are honest. Pisces wear their heart on their sleeve, and aren’t afraid to show it. Their emotions take priority over logic in most situations, and if they’re feeling a certain way, they’ll likely express what they’re feeling to close friends and family. Being honest with others is a main tenet of their personality, and they’ll expect others to be honest with them. If you lie to a Pisces and they find out, it will be a long time before they forgive you.
- Pisces are compassionate. They can put themselves in anyone's shoes. Their sense of imagination, as well as their natural skills of understanding and selflessness lend to Pisces being the most empathetic people you’ll ever come across. Their ability to emphasize with others makes Pisces great at giving advice and knowing just the right way to help.
- Pisces are wise. Pisces are amazing listeners. They are able to listen to anyone's issues without an inkling of judgment, and are extremely receptive to the personalities and moods of others. These skills combined allow Pisces to have a deep understanding of the world and how the human mind works.
- Pisces are hypersensitive. Pisces are ruled by their emotions, which makes them incredibly empathetic and understanding, but can also cause them to be overly emotional and needy. You have to be careful what you say around a Pisces, because they have the tendency to take everything to heart. This sensitivity can easily make or break relationships.
- Pisces are passive. Pisces are more laid back than the other water signs, Scorpio and Cancer. Pisces are always open to mixing things up and going down the road less traveled. As long as they can live in the moment, surrounded by those they care about, a Pisces will be down for anything. This is a great trait to have when collaborating and working with others, but it also leads to Pisces ignoring their own wants and needs for the sake of others.
- Pisces are inconsistent. As a mutable sign, the personality of a Pisces will likely go through frequent transitions, which may make them come across as inconsistent or unreliable. Not only that, but their extreme sensitivity and fear of being disliked can cause changes in their personality from moment to moment too — Pisces are known to change their behavior to match those around them. This is something everyone does to an extent, but Pisces can take things too far by giving into peer pressure and making bad decisions for the sake of friendship.
Pisces can get caught up in their imaginations, and often have trouble getting into the routine of life in a 9-5 office job. Since Pisces aren’t keen on mundane tasks most office jobs require, they prefer more unique jobs that don’t ask them to do too much straight, logical thinking.
Jobs where Pisces thrive are those that allow them to utilize their creativity and people skills. Being able to collaborate and chat with their coworkers throughout the day is also a plus.
Since Pisces are so focused on the unique things in life, and love imparting creative ideals in others, Pisces often enjoy working as teachers, therapists, counselors, or even nurses. Those Pisces who prefer to have more time alone may do better as a self-employed writer, photographer, painter, sculptor, graphic designer, or anything art related.
Pisces are natural lovers; they fall in love fast and get attached to people easily, and once in a relationship, they are entirely devoted to their partners. They are also often tempted to take things to the next level very quickly.
They can often be found planning thoughtful, romantic surprises for their partners — they’ll do anything to make sure their partners know how much they’re loved.
It is not always necessary for their partners to put the same amount of effort into the relationship as they do, but Pisces would prefer to date someone as passionate as they are.
Emotion and loyalty are big factors in a relationship with a Pisces, making fellow water signs Cancer and Scorpio great matches for them. However, Pisces also get along well with grounded earth signs Virgo, Capricorn, and Taurus because of their logical outlook on life. The mixture of logic and a Pisces’ never-ending imagination make for a good balance.
But overall, Pisces get along best with unconventional mates who are understanding and always open to new ideas.
Pisces are very family and friend oriented. They love planning get-togethers and having deep conversations to strengthen bonds and check in with the people they care about the most. They are also great listeners. Above all, friends and family are a priority for a Pisces.
They are people-pleasing and can sometimes be considered pushovers, so they need friends who will be aware of this and won’t take advantage of them.
Capricorns and Libras are known for being level-headed and logical thinkers, making them the perfect people to balance out emotional Pisces. When Pisces get lost in the clouds, Capricorns and Libras will help them stay grounded in reality.
These gentle, artistic types have a knack for knowing just what their audience needs. Whether speaking to a group of friends, or performing in front of thousands, Pisces make great spokespeople, entertainers, and role models.
Read through the list of names below to see how many famous Pisces you know:
- George Washington: February 22, 1732
- Frederic Chopin: February 22, 1810
- Albert Einstein: March 14, 1879
- Jack Kerouac: March 12, 1922
- Sidney Poitier: February 20, 1927
- Johnny Cash: February 26, 1930
- Elizabeth Taylor: February 27, 1932
- George Harrison: February 25, 1943
- Liza Minnelli: March 12, 1946
- Steve Jobs: February 24, 1955
- Drew Barrymore: February 22, 1975
- Emily Blunt: February 23, 1983
- Lupita Nyong’o: March 1, 1983
- Rihanna: February 20, 1988
- Justin Bieber: March 1, 1994
- Simone Biles: March 14, 1997